E.H.S.T. lab takeaway:
Congratulations on your EHST stories! For many of you, this was your first fully composed article from sources to publishing. A reminder for those of you attempting to publish your article: you can earn your extra credit for being published throughout the rest of the semester.
Talking about successes and the obstacles that you experienced during the EHST week showed that while things may not always go as planned, one can always anticipate or be better prepared in the future. In separating the two categories on the board, we saw that everything you mentioned within the learning/success category provided help or solution to the obstacles you listed.
A few things we talked about that can help overcome obstacles include:
- contacting sources early
- cultivating your sources and your connections to the area of reporting
- performing research before interviews
- managing interviews effectively
- using social media and other non-traditional methods for finding news ideas
- planning a story before writing it so you have a template
- challenging your comfort zone sometimes
- time management in general
Again, great job on the stories, and I look forward to reading them!
We will be critiquing your blogs next week, so keep posting regularly. You can read more about next week’s assignment on the class blog here. If you have any questions leading into next week, please let me know. Office hours are always open, so feel free to stop by.
In preparation for next week, please make sure to have started reading the public relations section of the textbook. While AP style may be the same, the writing approach changes starting next week.